Psalm 46:10 ~ Be still and kow that I am God.

Psalm 46:10 ~ Be still and know that I am God.

"God will not shout above all the noise and busyness to make Himself heard. It's only as we slow the pace and lower the decibel level of our lives that we can do business with God."
~ Quote by D.L. Moody on Psalms 46:10 ~

Thursday, January 31, 2008

TIME FOR MOMMY TO RELAX

Since this is my first time "blogging" I guess I'll start with a funny little story that pretty much sums up how my life goes during this season of mothering.  The other night I was ready for some quiet.  A little rest and relaxation after dinner.  Faith and I had picked Parker up from school to take him to the dentist to have two teeth removed.  This was his first "extraction" and I think I was honestly more stressed over it than he was.  Probably because I never really told him what was going to happen.  Anyway, he amazed me and and didn't fuss one bit during the procedure.  In fact, he and his sister bounced right back to pestering the dickens out of each other in the car on the way home.  But still, after dinner I was going to relax.  I called my husband, who works right here in our small town, and asked him to pick up a bottle...maybe two...of my favorite wine on his way home, which, as usual, he was happy to do.  The kids decided during dinner that they wanted to watch a movie that evening.  Perfect.  This was going to work out just swell!  While Scott and the kids watched "High School Musical 2," I was going to pour myself a glass of wine, run a bath, light a candle, plug in my iPod, shoo the dogs out of the bathroom...they follow me everywhere...and have some quiet time.  So...that's what I did...everything was set.  I hit the play button on my "favorites" play list and settled myself into a nice warm tubbie.  Before the first song was even over, the bathroom door opened (I need to learn to lock it) and in come the dogs...followed by the cute, little blonde four-year old named Faith who usually has a long list of questions.  Shoot.  Looks like mommy's relaxation time is going to be short.  Maybe daddy will come looking for Faith in a couple minutes.  Nope.  Before I knew what hit me, the conversation went something like this:

Faith:  "Mommy, whatcha doin'?"
Me:  "Taking a bath."
Faith:  "Why?"
Me:  "To relax."
Faith:  "Oh.  Why do you have a glass of wine?"
Me:  "To relax.
Faith:  "Oh.  I don't want music playing, mommy."
Me:  "Well, I do."
Faith:  "Turn it off."
Me:  "No.  I like it!"
Faith:  (as she's already undressing herself) "I'm going to take a bath with you, mommy!  Won't that be fun?"
Me:  "Are you sure you don't want to watch the movie?"
Faith:  "No.  I want to be with you."
Me:  (sigh) "Okay.  Come on in."

Next thing I know we're playing with the Barbie's she keeps in our "big tub" and there were lots of "bubbles" but not because I had the jets turned on...if you know what I mean.

No...I didn't get my quiet time and relaxation that night.  Especially since Faith let the dogs in and they were lapping water from the tub and what was being splashed out of the tub by the Barbie dolls that were swimming with us.  What I did get, though, was great conversation with a four-year old who just wanted to be with me and hang out with me...even if she had been with me all day long.  It's nice to know she just wants to be with her mom.  I like being with her, too!

1 comment:

kim said...

OK, like I said you are an amazing and talented writer!! I love to read what you write.
Great story. I can just picture it (well, most of it, you were dressed, of course). Faith bouncing in, getting into the tub and splashing around. Relaxing, huh? But I know what you mean, not what you planned, but amazing and wonderful just the same.
This is great! Welcome to the blogging world!!!!!