Psalm 46:10 ~ Be still and kow that I am God.

Psalm 46:10 ~ Be still and know that I am God.

"God will not shout above all the noise and busyness to make Himself heard. It's only as we slow the pace and lower the decibel level of our lives that we can do business with God."
~ Quote by D.L. Moody on Psalms 46:10 ~

Thursday, August 12, 2010

BACK HOME

Well...we're home from Rochester. Actually we got home yesterday but I was too tired to post an update. All went well. Parker made it through his eye exam in the office remarkably well. I was very impressed with his progress over last year's exam when he nearly hyperventilated in the car upon arriving in Rochester and then just couldn't gain the strength to overcome his fear once in the office for the exam. Certainly not the case this year. He got through the eye drops like a pro, flinched a few times during the exam but that's because his eyes are super-dooper-dilated and the doctor is shining an even super-doopier bright light into them. His eyes look great, too! He's pretty much out of the woods for retinal cancer now that he's nearly 12. However, it's the second cancers that we need to be concerned about and be very diligent to watch for. Having retinoblastoma increases the possibility of second cancers. His doctor told me that by age 30, there's a 30% chance that retinoblastoma patients will have a second cancer, 40% by age 40, 50% by age 50...etc. My heart was heavy the rest of the day / evening after we got back to the hotel after his exam.

Yesterday both kids had appointments. First up was a hearing test for Faith. Chemotherapy can affect hearing so the oncologist ordered a hearing test to see how Faith was doing. Final results, she has "beautiful" hearing. Not that I was really worried about this test because she shows no sign of a hearing impairment, I still found myself breathing a huge sigh of relief. Next up was a blood test for Faith. Have I ever mentioned how strong our little six-year old is? Oh...she's a tough one! It took three lab technicians and me to hold her in order for one of the lab techs to draw blood. SHEESH! Parker just couldn't handle it and waited outside the room on the other side of the curtain. When it was done he was in there so fast, ready to comfort his little sister and little sister was more than willing to accept the TLC from her big brother. He was nice to her almost...ALMOST...the whole rest of the day.

Final stop was both kids visiting the oncologist. Dr. Rodriguez is a very nice, compassionate and caring doctor. She gave both Parker and Faith a good exam and said that they are now good to have yearly appointments. When I asked her about what the eye doctor said about their chances of second cancers, she was a little more encouraging. Although it is a possibility, she told me not to let it consume us. Could it happen, yes. But it could also never happen. She didn't seem to agree as much with the 30% when 30, 40% when 40, etc. She said the fact that Parker never had radiation and that Faith had localized radiation that their chances decrease. It's the patients that receive EXTERNAL beams of radiation that have the highest risk of second cancers...just like what happened with Scott. She told me to just "breathe", let the kids be kids and to enjoy them instead of worry, worry, worry about more cancer. I can certainly let them be kids...and we most CERTAINLY enjoy them. The worry part, though...well...that one's a little tougher for me to let go of. Sometimes any unknowing and persisting bump, bruise or pain can set me in "cancer" mode and thankfully our pediatrician understands this. He's always willing to see the kids and is quick to put my fears to rest. The oncologist told me that between Scott and me, our pediatrician and her that the kids are in good hands.

Before I sign off, though, I want to thank my friend and neighbor, Deanne. I was telling her one day last week that Scott was not able to go to Rochester with me and I was wondering how I was going to keep Faith occupied while I was in the doctor's office with Parker. Basically, I was thinking out loud. She said, "I'll go with you." Huh? It took a lot of me telling myself...and her telling me...that she wouldn't have offered if she wasn't sincere. So I took her up on her offer. Since we were staying overnight in Rochester, Deanne decided to follow us there and head home that same evening. We went straight to the hotel and I got the kids and me checked in. Faithy LOVES Deanne and had already decided that she wanted to go shopping. Deanne was all over it and off to the mall they went while Parker and I headed to the Mayo Clinic. We met back at the hotel and discovered that those two had a blast shopping! Faith's favorite, Favorite, FAVORITE store is Justice and they returned with three shirts and two pair of leggings and lots of giggles about their shopping. We then went to dinner and Deanne headed home before the kids and I enjoyed three hours at the pool. It was so refreshing to have a friend along, especially knowing that she was doing it because she really wanted to do it. I didn't feel uncomfortable about it at all and Faithy loved her special "girl" time.

Today we're back to "normal" (whatever that is). Playing at home, Karate, laundry, cleaning, and a recent question of, "Can we see if friends can come over after Karate?"

Feels good to be home...with my healthy, beautiful kids.

Peace and blessings to your day.
Jeanine

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad the appointments are over. It must be so hard to see your kids have to go through those. And I totally understand that persistent worry at the back of your mind. How can you not, you're a mom!

Sharon said...

Praise God for the encouraging results! And Praise God that we can trust HIM for our children's future.... Such a comfort for me to remember that he loves my son, MORE than even I do... and that He has GOOD things planned for them.

And what a beautiful gift your girlfriend gave you... She's inspiring me to find someone to "pay it forward" to!

cybil said...

I'm very happy that all went so well!!
Praise God!!
Sibylle

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews said...

Hello! I am a new reader. Can't wait to see more from your blog! Please follow me back at The Nutritionist Reviews and Giveaways: http://couponclippingnutritionist.blogspot.com