Last night I had some time with my 12-year old son. You see, Scott had requested to watch a movie. He's a huge super hero fan and there was an Incredible Hulk movie on that he really, really wanted to watch. It started at 6:30 PM and ended at 9 PM. It wasn't one the kids could watch so he asked if I'd mind if he watched it in our room. Nope...I didn't mind. Faith was in bed early again...around 7:45. That left Parker and me to just hang out. I was sitting in the recliner and he was on the couch. I called him over to me, flipped back my snuggly blanket, he crawled into the chair with me and we snuggled up together. This might sound strange, but he and I enjoy watching "House Hunters" and "House Hunters International" on HGTV and last night there was an episode of house hunting in Norway. We like to try to figure out which one the buyer(s) will choose and last night we were both wrong.
When that show was over, we started flipping through the channels and although we never watch the Food Network, that is where our channel flipping ended. It was "Cupcake Wars" and Parker said, "Oh...stop here...let's watch it." So we did. We predicted the winner...and the cupcakes looked yummy...REALLY yummy!
I told him earlier in the evening, though, that he needed to go to bed a little earlier than he did the night before. But once he was snuggled in that chair with me, I just couldn't seem to let him go...and he wasn't in a hurry to leave. Next up on Food Network was "Chopped" and he said, "Let's watch it! Please...let's watch!" Since I was really happy with the fact that my 12-year old son was sitting in a chair with me, snuggled up in a blanket with me and not wanting to leave me...I didn't argue. So for the next hour we sat and watched four people cook, then three people, then two and eventually one person was declared the winner. And we giggled and joked and snuggled. I kissed his cheek...and he leaned in for more. I rubbed his head...and he tilted it toward me for more. I gently rubbed over his hand with my fingers...and he wrapped his fingers around mine. I told him how much I love him and he responded with the same.
It wasn't about what we were watching on tv...that was just something in the background. It was about having time together...just the two of us. As he gets older and busier and well...older...these moments get fewer and farther between. I've always been a "touchy-feely" mom. Kissing cheeks, ruffling the tops of heads, random huggings, periodic nose-tweaking...I can't walk by my kids without doing something like that. Usually at night, if I'm snuggling up anyone, it's our little Faith. She gets so very tired by the end of the day and lately there are times I wonder if she'll make it through dinner and a tubbie before falling asleep. She is the one coming to me for that extra special lovin' and snugglin'.
But last night it was Parker and me. Just the two of us. Mother and son. Enjoying time together, talking about whatever, being silly and snuggling up. And you know what made it even more special? Today is my birthday. Without knowing it, Parker gave me the sweetest gift a 12-year old boy could give his mom...himself.
Peace and blessings to your day.
Jeanine
5 comments:
Oh my goodness. This post was so wrapped in love that I want to cry. I am a touchy-feely Mom too. I'm a hugger and head patter and cheek kisser and all that.
This so warmed my heart. And a big Happy Birthday to you!
By the way, I REALLY want to see your Barbie Townhouse. I had one and I got all excited when you told me you had one in the corner of your living room.
Have a fabulous day my friend.
Kim
Congrats to your birthday! Have a wonderful new year - filled with God's grace and love and wonders!
Enjoy!
Sibylle
Oh Jeanine!! This is sooo very Precious!! I am a Touchy feely Mom too and snuggling with my kids is just the best!! With a 18 yr old and a almost 14 yr old I cherish that time more & more!! There is just nothing better than having moments like these :)
Bless you my friend!!
What a neat time for you guys! Jack and I love the House Hunter shows too. :)
perfect time for you and the big guy! so so so sweet!
Post a Comment