Psalm 46:10 ~ Be still and kow that I am God.

Psalm 46:10 ~ Be still and know that I am God.

"God will not shout above all the noise and busyness to make Himself heard. It's only as we slow the pace and lower the decibel level of our lives that we can do business with God."
~ Quote by D.L. Moody on Psalms 46:10 ~

Monday, January 3, 2011

WELCOME 2011

Happy New Year!

I have never been one to make significant New Year's resolutions. Except for the last couple of years. In 2009 and 2010 I made some significant strides. My resolutions were more the "soul-searching" type rather than outward, physical, tangible, visible types. Funny thing about 09 and 10 was that I wasn't really searching for these changes. I wasn't seeking these changes. However, God decided to put them on my heart, take my hand and gently lead me through them.

I've always been one to worry. Contemplate. Fret. Become anxious. In 2009, God put "peace" in my heart. He presented me with some amazing opportunities that I would have never sought out on my own. These opportunities were just sort of plopped in my lap and they built from there. I discovered so much about myself...the me who had sort of just started to blend in and get lost in the crowd. I started looking at situations, opportunities, daily life with a completely different perspective. I discovered strengths I either didn't know I had or that I had forgotten even existed in me. So many things changed for me...my choices, my outlook, my dreams, my viewpoints. For the first time in my life I was comfortable with myself. Although God had put "peace" on my heart and He was leading me to it, it certainly wasn't always easy. There's a saying, "If you ask God for patience, He doesn't just GIVE you patience. He gives you opportunities and reasons to BE patient." That's sort of how it was with this "peace" thing He had put on my heart. Sometimes it was easy...but oftentimes it was really hard. But by the end of 2009, so many things had happened that allowed me peace, that when the start of 2010 started to roll around, I was ready to build on the peace and add to it.

It certainly doesn't make me proud to admit this, but I have always been the type of person who enjoys "more." "Bigger is better" seemed to suit me perfectly. Until it bit me in the butt...really, really hard...and gave me a reason to follow God's lead to "peace." By the time 2010 rolled around "peace" had started to take up residence in me and wanted a roommate. That's when God introduced "simplicity" and decided it would be good for it to hang out with "peace." I needed to re-evaluate what was really important in life. "Stuff" just didn't do it for me any longer. Honestly, it never really had, but this was a lesson I was learning. Sure...I still enjoy "goodies"...especially of the gadgety, electronic kind. It's sort of a "gene" within our household...afterall, my husband is an IT guy and he was never really into "boy toys" such as cars, hunting, attending sporting events, etc. Gadgets are our "thing." But suddenly...and without much choice...I was finding that I really didn't "need" this or that or the other thing. We were also discovering, as a family, that we did not enjoy being ruled by our calendar. It used to be that when it was time to purchase a new calendar for the upcoming year, I made sure it had large enough square for writing stuff in. Even then there were times I was writing really small to get it all to fit. That's changed. We no longer "over-schedule" anyone within our family. Sure, we're busy. Everyone is. However, what we have done is to decide what we really enjoy and that's what we do. Sometimes we have to make a choice. Sometimes we have to miss something. Sometimes we have to just buck up and know that for a day, week, or however long something we've chosen is going to make us busier than usual. We have to decide if that "something" is worth it. Another thing we have done as a family is set the rule that Sundays are a day of rest. There is no work. There are no "errands". It is a day set aside for church and family and friends. All of this "simplifying" of life certainly didn't take long to blend in with "peace." Again...was it always easy? Absolutely, positively NOT! But it has started to take hold...and I like it.

So here it is the start of 2011. As 2010 started to wind down, there wasn't much coming to me as far as resolutions or adding to 2009 peace or 2010 simplicity. Ahhhhh...did you note that I said nothing much was coming to "me" as far as resolutions? That's correct. Nothing was coming to "me"...but again...God has different plans. Before I knew what hit me...God had placed "joy" on my heart. Sure...why not? He's already building peace and simplicity within me. Seems "joy" is just a natural to join those two. I'm not quite sure yet what the "joy" will completely entail. So far...on this third day of the new year...it seems to be shining on choices and re-evaluating HOW and WHERE I spend my time. Am I choosing things that truly bring me "joy?" Do I find "joy" in all the areas I volunteer my time? What people/places/activities bring me "joy" and do I spend enough time in each of these areas? Once again God has taken the lead and peace and simplicity have a new "roomie" named joy. I'm eager to see what the three of them come up with in 2011. They already presented a biggie on Sunday, January 2. I'm excited about it and can't wait to see where this one leads.

So there you have it. My first post of 2011...one that involves peace, simplicity and joy. A resolution, so-to-speak, that is more "God-led" than "me-led." And in the last couple of years I've discovered that "God-led" will get me much, much further with much, much better results than "me-led."

Peace, simplicity and joy to your day!
Jeanine

2 comments:

Genny said...

Peace, simplicity and joy... I love it, Jeanine! As I read this post, I found myself smiling and rooting for you. I'm so happy you had such a year filled with revelation. I've had moments in my life like that too and it is always so freeing to come out the other side understanding yourself better. God is good! :)

cybil said...

The Sundays as days of rest are also very important to us.
And joy is so important, so crucial!
Beautiful post.