I really stuck my foot in my mouth the other day. Someone asked me, "How's it going?" Since she works at the same company where Scott was recently employed, I answered. "Okay. Would be better if Scott could land a job." She nodded in agreement. Then I said, "But...it could be worse." Again she agreed and added, "Yep...it could. Your husband could be headed off for a tour in Iraq in February like my husband. Sometimes I wish my husband was unemployed...or at least employed differently."
Ouch.
I don't know this woman super well...obviously...but did know her husband WAS in the military. I didn't know he was STILL in the military. They have four children, the oldest a freshman in college and the youngest in 7th grade. I talked with her for a while about this upcoming challenge in their lives, the fact that the upcoming presidential election could change things but not enough for him not to have to serve his tour, the fact that their second oldest will graduate in 2009 and how she hopes her husband will be back in time for graduation.
Certainly puts things into perspective, doesn't it? Scott and I do our best to stay as positive as possible. Sometimes we're lousy at it. Sometimes not. When faced with the health situations we've had with Scott and the kids, we are always thankful for the results. Yes...Scott, Parker and Faith had cancer. That stinks and it's really, really hard to get through. But someone else has a husband, son or daughter who died from cancer. I can't imagine...and I thank God that I can't.
So...Scott doesn't have a job right now...but in time he will. It's in God's hands. Has it been an easy time in the Johnson house during all of this? Nope. But after talking to someone else who's husband IS employed but heading off to another country to risk his life for our country...it really could be worse.
Peace.
Jeanine
4 comments:
hi, Jeanine. I can feel how you feel about your husband will be going to somewhere for an assignment. I almost married a military that was sent to Iraq, too.
You are so right, there is always someone else who has it better, and someone who has it worse off. Just the way it is. I pray that I am sensitive to where people are...this is not always the case. Sometimes I also open mouth and insert foot too.
Thanks Jeanine. I have to remember this too; I am thankful that my husband has a job, but would like it to be one that does not include travel, especially this past month that he's traveled so much. I am happy he'll be home this weekend, but not so much that he leaves again on Monday. At least, for this time, God is using this job to provide for our family. God never says it will be easy or exactly what we wants, only that He will take care of our needs.
I am the QUEEN of "open mouth and insert foot"!!! While I never have the intention of hurting others with my comments or opinions, sometimes I do just that. Too often. While it's difficult to hear that is the result, it has a backward way of helping me become a better person.
That said, I know from visiting your blog that you are an extremely compassionate, sensitive person and I find it heart-warming that you cared enough about the conversation to share it with others so that they (me) might always remember that, like Jill said, there is always someone who has it better and someone who is worse off. We all will benefit from keeping that in mind and being thankful for everything we have been blessed with.
Please don't beat yourself up about it, I'm sure she won't! If you see her again, thank her, her hubby and her family for their service of our country on behalf of me and mine. What a sacrifice!
You will be in my prayers that everything turns out well! Take care.
Post a Comment