I've been working on a little "homework." About a year ago I was given the opportunity to have a life coach...free for six months. The six months are now over but I am able to continue at a very reasonable fee. I have mentioned this before, but my over-all theme last year seemed to focus on "peace." This year the focus is the same, but I've also added simplicity. Thus...my blog theme of "peacefullysimple."
Back to my homework. I'm creating a list of things that, to me, represent peace and simplicity. Some of the things on the list are tried-and-true. I've done them. They work for me. Other items are from my peace and simplicity wish list. Things that I have not done before but come to mind when I think of finding peace and the simplicity. Some of the ideas come from my future self...me in my 50s, 60s, 70s...hopefully 80s or 90s. "Future me" tells the "current me", "If you knew now what I know now...here's what you need to do."
Here's my work-in-progress peacefullysimple list so far:
* Two-Minute Breathe - simply sit quietly for two minutes (set the timer), close your eyes...and breathe. That's it. Just breathe. Do not think. Just allow your body a chance to take in and release air. Do this as often as you need throughout the day.
* Five-Minute Motivator - this one expands on the Two-Minute Breath by allowing you to process, to think, to listen, to motivate your mind, your body and your soul. Try it in the morning, afternoon and evening. Allow yourself this time to center yourself and find the balance you need to continue your day.
* Five-Minute Room Rescue - assign everyone in your family a room. Set the timer for five minutes and five minutes only. When the timer starts each person uses that time to tidy-up their assigned room. When the five minutes are up, that's it and the task is complete.
* Telephone - the phone is for my convenience, not the caller's convenience. Use caller I.D. to choose whether or not it is necessary to answer the phone. If it isn't...let it go to voice mail and get back to it when it's convenient for you.
* Off-Limit Sundays - start with church and then make the remainder of Sunday a day of rest. Do not work. Allow yourself this day to play, relax, rest and spend time with family and friends.
* Groceries - create a meal plan. Schedule a regular time to go grocery shopping and never go without a list.
* Laundry - set a laundry schedule and stick to it. I do Monday/Wednesday/Friday. I find that when the laundry room is not in use, closing the door helps me put that task to rest. Sort of like a "Closed" sign on the door to a business.
* Organization - a good list goes a long way, especially if you are easily distracted. Every day make a reasonable list of to-do items. Don't list too many things or you'll feel overwhelmed. If you need an extra boost, set a goal for yourself each day and if you meet it, allow yourself a little "reward"...something that brings you peace or comfort.
* Calendar - keep a well-organized calendar. Find one with enough space to write neatly and clearly...and of course use pencil to write. Keep it in a visible space where everyone in the family can see it. Most importantly...do not over-schedule any one day or any one person. Allow everyone reasonable amounts of activities and fun without burning them out.
* Avoid Negativity - do your best to avoid negative people and influences. If you must be around them, limit your time or distract yourself by thinking of or finding something that brings you comfort and peace. Again...if you need to...give yourself a little reward if you make it through this one without any glitches. Also, if an item in your house causes you stress, anxiety or gives you negative vibes every time you see it or use it...get rid of it (within reason, of course...I'm certainly not going to get rid of my washer and dryer). Don't keep it in your house if that's how it makes you feel. Throw it, give it away or sell it.
* Put God at the center of your day. I found myself one day with a busy schedule. I was telling myself, "Jeanine...center the day around you, not yourself around the day." Then a gentle voice in my head said, "Um, Jeanine...try again. God is the center of your day, not you. Center yourself around Him, then bring in your day."
So now I have a question for you. Sort of like your "homework" to help me with my "homework." Ready?
What would you add to this list? Maybe it's something that you already do...something that works for you and brings you peace and simplicity. Maybe it's something that you've thought about but never tried. I'm welcoming all ideas. Nothing is too "out there" or "wacky." I WANT YOUR SUGGESTIONS AND IDEAS AND THOUGHTS so together...if you want to join me...we can find peace and simplicity...fully.
Blessings to your day.
Jeanine
2 comments:
- a good meal together with my family
- a bath
- a walk in the park
- a good book
- pleasant talks with friends
....
I love your list! I'm going to work on implementing some of those things. I try to start my day with God, pray a bit before I even get out of bed.
Post a Comment