Psalm 46:10 ~ Be still and kow that I am God.

Psalm 46:10 ~ Be still and know that I am God.

"God will not shout above all the noise and busyness to make Himself heard. It's only as we slow the pace and lower the decibel level of our lives that we can do business with God."
~ Quote by D.L. Moody on Psalms 46:10 ~

Sunday, August 31, 2008

NOT READY

Tomorrow is Labor Day. The next day is the first day of school. I'm not ready! I'm not ready for Parker to be in 4th Grade. As much as he's growing into a nice young man, I'm never ready at the start of a new school year to "give him up again." But I can't let my wanting him to be home with me stop me from him being excited to get back to school, friends, routine and his desire to head back to school. He likes school...really...he's never had any complaints about it...other than maybe getting his homework done. As far as school itself...he's pretty darn happy with it. I can't argue with that. How awful would it be if he was dreading it and fussing and begging to stay home? That's how I was at his age. I was horribly shy and didn't have the confidence to be away from home. It was honestly pretty pathetic. That's not how my kids are and I'm very happy about it. Parker enjoys most of his day at school and is happy to be home at the end of the day. It's as simple and matter-of-fact as that.

Do you know what else I'm not ready for? I'm not ready for Faith, my baby, to be starting preschool! We have Open House on Wednesday and she officially starts on Friday. She will be attending Monday/Wednesday/Friday mornings from 9 AM to 11:30 AM. Again, I need to suck it up and be happy because she is SO excited to start school! She's been asking almost every day if she gets to go to school "this day." Yesterday we got her new school shoes...no flip-flops allowed in the preschool room...and she was so thrilled with them that she couldn't wait to show her daddy. Of course they are pink and white...what else would our little Miss Faith wear? We also had to break down and get her new glasses. Her last pair were ridiculously expensive...over $300...and that's for NO PRESCRIPTION! Faith's vision cannot be corrected with a prescription but she does need to wear glasses for protection. Since she only has vision in her right eye, her glasses are there to protect her good eye...the right eye...from being injured while she plays and goes about her day. So, polycarbonate lenses are necessary. Well yesterday we were going to just "check" on prices for new glasses and ended up purchasing a pair. We stopped at Lens Crafters and they had a sale on children's glasses...buy the frame and get the lenses absolutely free! WOW! That was huge for us...especially consider Scott's current job situation...which is not having a job! Anyway, the average price was around $99.00 for frames so we ended up getting her an adorable pair of pink...again, pink...and a bright pink, I might add...for $101 and some change. WHEW! So...now she's REALLY EXCITED for school to start! Again...how can I argue with that?

So, on Tuesday it will begin...another school year. The excitement will be one that will be difficult to avoid...and difficult for me to not be excited along with them. But for a few days anyway, it will tug at my heart strings to see them head off on their day without me. But I know they will return home at their end of their day still needing and wanting their mom.

Peace.
Jeanine

3 comments:

Tricia said...

I feel your pain. School started last week for us. I know it is a big adjustment, but I know you'll do fine after a few days. My Timmary is in her last year of elementary and the twins are full day now in first. If it weren't for my filling in as preschool director, I probably would've cried last week being home alone, but I haven't had time!!! I hope they have a wonderful week at school. Blessings!

Jill said...

Enjoy your last day home with the kiddos tomorrow. Praying for a great year for your whole family! They grow way too quickly!

Unknown said...

I feel the same way J! Tomorrow is going to be a very emotional day (for me)...both my babies are off to school. Kev took the day off from work and Kirsten is coming over to take pictures (and hold the kleexex box for me). My kids are so so excited for school to start...it's mommy that isn't so sure! :)

Will you post a picture of Faithy's new glasses?

Praying for you all!