Last year I had a garage sale. I did not plan to do one this year.
However...
...Parker decided that he wanted to raise some spending money.
Thus...he started a "sale pile."
One day when I thought he was quietly playing in the family room downstairs...avoiding his little sister and just hanging out, as he sometimes likes to do...he was diligently going through his closet and creating his "sale pile."
His pile spilled into the family room, took over the counter and was carefully and thoughtfully gone through before deciding for sure what could stay and what could be sold.
It didn't take long for Faith to decide that she needed a "sale pile", too. But being only five, she couldn't do it alone. Parker and I helped her. Her "sale pile" did not end up being as large as Parker's, indicating to me that we have somewhat of a little "pack rat" on our hands. When going through the clothes in her closet she would often say to me, "But mom...that was a special dress. Can I put it in my memory box for my baby to wear someday when I'm a mom?" Oh...let me tell ya...she's good, that little Faithy of mine. It took some serious standing firm on my part to make her give up some of her stuff.
So there it was...sale piles...all over the family room with two enthusiastic kids wanting to have a garage sale. I didn't think I had much to add to the piles considering I had a sale last summer. Once again I am proven to be wrong. WRONG! Our garage is certainly not packed full, but there is an ample supply of "stuff" that will hopefully become a needed or treasured item for someone else.
Parker is even going to have a little "snack bar" for those who might need a little nibble or drink of something to tide them over. He will be providing soda, donuts, cookies and coffee (of course I'll be the one heading to the grocery store early, early in the morning to make sure these items are fresh for him to sell).
So there you have it...some Johnson garage sale enthusiasm. Well, Parker and Faith garage sale enthusiasm, anyway...and I certainly don't want to be the one to squash their entrepreneurial spirit.
Peace.
Jeanine
1 comment:
bravo for this initiative!! I'll also need to pack some more things for http://www.armeedusalut.ch/swi/www_swi_fr.nsf
(Swiss Salvation Army)!
Post a Comment