Psalm 46:10 ~ Be still and kow that I am God.

Psalm 46:10 ~ Be still and know that I am God.

"God will not shout above all the noise and busyness to make Himself heard. It's only as we slow the pace and lower the decibel level of our lives that we can do business with God."
~ Quote by D.L. Moody on Psalms 46:10 ~

Thursday, August 13, 2009

ROCHESTER - DAY 1

We returned just a short while ago from our first of two trips to Rochester. Today went well...as well as can be expected. It did not happen without lots of tears, shaking, screaming and a near panic attack.

Parker had himself so worked up about eye drops (he HATES anything related to anyone touching his eyes) and the bright light used for the exam that as we approached Rochester I seriously thought the child was going to hyper-ventilate. He was breathing quick, shaky breaths and was nearly sobbing. I tried my best to calm him down while I was driving by reaching one arm into the back seat to hold his hand. Faith sat quietly, but taking in all the fear that eventually leaked a into her, too.

In the doctor's office, Parker made his sister go first to the exam chair and Faith screamed and kicked and fought hard when it was time for her to get eye drops. This in turn freaked Parker out even more and he started crying, too. I was doing my best at this point to just focus on Faithy and calm her the best I could by holding her and encouraging her. When the drops were in, she was fine.

Then it was Parker's turn. He, too, sat on my lap and tried to keep himself pulled together. After one more mild attack of panic, I held on tight to him and the drops went in...just like that. He hardly even knew what happened. The toughest part for him was done.

Next for Faith was a peek at her eyes. A thorough exam was not necessary because the best way to do that yet for her is by putting her under anesthesia...which is tomorrow. Then it was Parker's turn. Having watched what the doctor did to his sister and how well she cooperated, Parker sat in the chair ready for the exam. He did very well. When the brightest light came out to shine in his eyes some of the panic sneaked back in again, but he managed to get through it with the help of a very humorous doctor. The doctor was able to get about a 92% view of Parker's eyes which is fine considering Parker's advancing age and his years of being tumor-free.

Next stop was lab work for Faith. The oncologist ordered a blood-draw (routine after all of her chemo) and into the lab we went, Faith clinging tightly to me all the while. Once she was sitting on my lap in the chair and she saw the items needed to draw her blood...or give her a "poke" as she says...she was immediately crying. I was trying to encourage Parker to help by talking to her and trying to make her giggle while I held her. Nope. No such luck. He didn't like the sound of her crying and stood as far away from her as he could with his hands over his ears and a grimacing look on his face. He did NOT like what they were doing to do to his little sister. It didn't take long for the lab technician to see that he was going to need help so he flipped the light on for someone to come in and assist him. A very friendly woman came in and helped to hold Faith's arm so I could hold Faith and try to talk her through it. Again...in a matter of seconds the whole thing was over but the pathetic look on Faith's little face would make one think it had been much, much longer.

Final stop...oncology. Parker and Faith's oncologist is a wonderful lady. Having two small children herself, she has a manner with both of them that is very calming, soothing and motherly. She checked both of them over and gave them a clean bill of health. She does not need to see Parker for a year and the same goes for Faith unless Faith has another eye exam under anesthesia within the year then the oncologist wants to do the preoperative physical.

So into the car at 2:30 with two hungry kids and one hungry mamma! We stopped for pizza on our way out of Rochester at a specialty pizza place but Faith didn't like the pizza...so Parker ate hers, as well as his. A little further down the road on our way out was a stop at McDonald's drive-through for chicken nuggets and french fries for Faith. With happy tummies we were on the road and headed home.

Faith and Scott just left for soccer. I'm thinking I'll get ready for bed very, VERY early tonight as Faith needs to be back in Rochester at 6 AM tomorrow morning for her exam under anesthesia. That means out the door shortly before 4 AM. The plus side to the early arrival means that we will arrive back home that much earlier in the afternoon.

I'm thankful to God for helping my kids get through today. I know He will do the same for Faith tomorrow. I'll keep you posted on those results, as well.

Until then...peace...and good night!
Jeanine

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I love your blog Jeanine! I will keep Faith in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow. I hope all goes smoothly. :)Kelly

cybil said...

Praying for you today...