So here's my Friday:
1. The kitchen sink is clogged. It's clogged good! After two bottles of Liquid Plumber we're still working on it. By golly we will not cave and call a plumber, either...unless he's liquid one mentioned above. Scott is working from home today and between the two of us, we've been plunging, disposaling and plunging to get that sink opened up. No luck. I plunged for a good hour earlier today and the only good thing that came from it is that I gave the muscles in my upper arm a good workout. We're taking a break and have decided to ignore the problem for a while and maybe it will go away. I have a feeling, though, that we will be making another trip to the hardware store for that Liquid Plumber guy.
2. I've been reflecting all day on the first quarter conferences we had last night for Parker. Let me start by saying that this year...Parker's first in Middle School...started out pretty rocky. Grade weren't so good for our little man and it was not...NOT...what he or we were used to seeing. So...we buckled down. Set some tough rules (well Parker thought they were tough, but they seemed pretty reasonable to Scott and me). I developed a daily checklist of things to be done with nice little "check boxes" and everything for Parker to check off as necessary. It looks something like this:
* Piano - 20 minutes
* Saxophone - 20 minutes
* Homework - until completed and corrected
* Reading - 20 minutes
* Computer/video games - 1 hour if all of the above is complete
* Other requests / chores as assigned
It seems to be working, too. I've also been going online to the Family Access site for our school district and checking Parker's grades on a daily basis. Shows us exactly where we need to focus for the moment.
Last night Parker's teacher and Parker presented to Scott and me how Parker was doing. His teacher said there is room for improvement in slowing down and taking time to work things through and sent a gentle reminder that neatness counts. Reading more is a goal that Parker set for himself. He finished the quarter with mainly B's.
Ahhhh...but there's more to make us proud of Parker. Parker's teacher asked him, "Parker...how are things going? How are things with Xxxx?" Xxxx is another student that has caused problems for Parker in the past and although we requested again this year that Parker and this boy not be in the same classroom, it happened anyway. It's been a good thing, though...and believe me...this is NOT something I would ever have imagined myself saying. Parker realizes that he is not alone in his feelings for this boy. Pretty much all the kids feel this way. Xxxx has his moments and they are usually not good. However, Parker has apparently been letting these "moments" settle down and then tries again with Xxxx. Parker's teacher even said last night that he's seen Parker eat lunch with this boy who often sits at a table completely alone. His teacher also said, "You know, Parker...sometimes Xxxx needs to or deserves to sit at the table alone, but it's always nice to give him another chance." Let me tell ya...and I don't mean to boast...but DANG I was proud of my son last night!
But it doesn't end...there's more and it's the funny part! Parker's teacher also said very casually, very matter-of-fact, without any teasing at all in his voice, "Parker...the girls really seem to like you. What's up with that?" Scott and I both started laughing and Parker...poor Parker...just gently shook his head, got this little grin on his face (and those of you who know my Parker know what grin I'm talking about) and didn't say a word. His teacher said, "Yeah...seems every time there's a girl at the Smart Board," (that's a chalkboard back in my day), "and they get to pick the next person to come up...they always seem to pick you. Why do you think that is?" Again...Parker just grinned and gently shook his head. I said, "Parker has always liked girls as friends who are just girls." Then I asked the question that any mother of a son would ask..."Does he treat the girls nicely and with respect?" The answer was as I expected. "Yes...yes he does."
So, the clogged sink? Well...that's just a glitch in the day. My son, however? He totally ROCKS!!!!
And that my friends, is my Friday!
Peace and happy weekend.
Jeanine
1 comment:
You Go Parker! Awesome work - and kind hearted too! You're doing GREAT. I can tell your mom and dad are darn proud of you!
Post a Comment