Saturday night we had a neighborhood Halloween party. We started with a trailer for the kids that transported them through the neighborhood to Trick-or-Treat, followed by a party at the neighbor's house. Our new neighbors from across the park were invited to join in, too. When I met them I thought, "Gee...I feel like I should know her." She, Krista, reminded me of someone, but I just couldn't place who.
As we were all at the "after trick-or-treating" party, some of us were sitting around the kitchen table visiting. I mentioned something about Faith's lack of vision in her left eye. Krista said she was a nurse at Fairview Riverside. I followed with, "Oh...Faith was there in the NICU for five weeks after she was born."
I still couldn't place her, but things were coming together for Krista. Finally she said, "Jeanine, I have to put myself out there and just ask you something straight out." I said, "You're wondering why Faith doesn't see out of her left eye." She said, "Well...yes...but that's not what I was going to say." Then she said this...and it was the miracle of evening:
"I recognize Scott and I've just figured it out. Jeanine...I'm a hemoc/oncology nurse..."
Then it hit me and I said,
"Oh my gosh...you gave my Faithy her first round of chemotherapy!"
Krista said, "YES! Yes, I did!"
There was suddenly tears between the two of us, hugs, and just a completely stunned feeling! We both ran out into the garage where the guys were all watching a game and we told Scott. He said, "I've been trying to figure out all night why you seem so familiar!"
Then, although she had quickly met Faith when I said, "That's my daughter, Faith, and my son, Parker," we went downstairs for her to really MEET Faith. Krista hugged Faithy and Faithy hugged her back...and Krista cried. I was still to stunned to do anything but just sit there in awe of the fact that our new neighbor was one of the first people to care for Faith.
That night that Faith received her first round of chemo, she was only four days old. Scott and I cried when the chemo was administered...and Krista cried with us as she administered it. That night, when the chemo was over, I said to Scott, "God sent just the right person tonight to give Faith her chemo." During the rest of our conversation, we remembered that Krista also gave Faith her second round of chemo before she was able to come home from the hospital. I'm so looking forward to getting to know Krista and her family better as we continue on as neighbors. And I'm looking forward to Krista having the opportunity to see our little Faithy grow from that tiny little baby, to who she is now, and to the wonderful person she will continue to become.
God is just simply amazing. AMAZING!
Peace.
Jeanine
4 comments:
WOW! That's so...WOW!
that's too cool! it is a small world indeed! I love the memory that she was one of the first people to care for your daughter.... And now to have the chance to be friends with each other... precious!
I know...it's so...WOW! and so...COOL!
What a neat meeting!! That's just really cool. :)
Post a Comment