Psalm 46:10 ~ Be still and kow that I am God.

Psalm 46:10 ~ Be still and know that I am God.

"God will not shout above all the noise and busyness to make Himself heard. It's only as we slow the pace and lower the decibel level of our lives that we can do business with God."
~ Quote by D.L. Moody on Psalms 46:10 ~

Monday, November 23, 2009

TRADITIONS

Once again I'm participating with Genny over at

and talking about Traditions.

I was never big on "traditions" until Scott and I got married and then more-so after we had children. Now I LOVE traditions and during the holidays we try to establish as many of them as possible. Here are a few of what the Johnson Family does in hopes that it will continue...

* We, like Genny's family, have two Red Plates. One for Parker. One for Faith. We use the plate every year on their birthdays to serve them their slice of birthday cake.

* Seven years ago we nixed the artificial, pre-lit Christmas Tree and decided that we'd try a real tree for a change. We haven't turned back since. We love having a real Christmas Tree. We do not purchase a pre-cut tree, either. No, no. We try to find a new Christmas Tree farm every year. We bundle up the kids, pack up the dogs, grab the camera and out the door we go for our Christmas Tree shopping adventure. It's so fun to find just the right tree. One that is waiting patiently, standing tall, with it's branches fluffed out just so, calling to our family..."Hey...pick me!"

* The Polar Express. For the past several years we have chosen an unscheduled Saturday or Sunday evening, preferably the weekend before Christmas, to watch the movie, Polar Express. We pop some popcorn, find a comfy spot to sit and curl up to watch this wonderful story of a little boy with doubts about "believing" at Christmas. Every year while out Christmas shopping I search and search and search for a bell. One bell. Just like in the movie. Every year I come up empty handed. I have not been able to find "THE" bell. Until this year. Scott and I found a Christmas door-hanger with "THE" bells that I have been looking for. Fortunately it was pretty darn inexpensive because when I got it home, I cut it up. I didn't want all the "fluff" on the decoration...I just wanted the bells. One for Parker. One for Faith. The bells are now ready and waiting in a drawer for after the movie when I will give one to each of the kids...reminding them that if they hear it jingle...now matter how old they are...then Christmas is alive in their hearts.

* Parker's Tree. Faith's Tree. When I was younger...you know...a REALLY LONG TIME AGO...probably when I was still a little girl...I had a dream of one day putting Christmas Trees in each of my kid's bedrooms. When Parker was baby, that tradition started. They each have their own little tree in their bedroom (these ARE artificial) and each year for Christmas they get a new ornament to add to their tree. They get to decorate their tree however they want. No worries over "special placement" of the ornaments. No rhyme-or-reason to their decorating style. Their trees reflect each of them and their beautiful personalities.

* The Christmas Dress. This is a very special tradition for a mommy and her little girl. Not that finding Christmas attire for boys isn't fun, too...but there is something about looking for just the right Christmas dress that is so unbelievably special for a mommy and daughter. Last year Faith and I found her dress on-line and I purchased it at the store. This year Faith and I stumbled upon dresses...lots of dresses...for her to select from. She chose several to try on and after much thought and consideration (and me desperately trying to keep my mouth shut so as not to persuade her to buy the one that was MY favorite) she chose her dress...which just happened to be one of my two favorites, as well.

So there you have it. A few of the Johnson Family traditions. Every year we work on adding to our list. I hope my kids love it as much as I do. I hope that some day I see these traditions being passed down from my children to their children...and witnessing some new ones of their own, as well.

Peace.
Jeanine

3 comments:

Genny said...

How wonderful! I loved reading your traditions; I think it's so sweet your kiddos each have their own trees in their rooms. :)

Unknown said...

Have you ever been to Z's trees just south of Waconia? http://www.zstrees.com/home.html

I went to high school with the children of the owner. The owner himself used to work as a large animal vet and would be out at our farm from time to time.

lightening said...

I really enjoyed reading of your traditions. I like the tree in the bedroom tradition. Mind you, my daughter's is likely to get buried under all her STUFF!!! *sigh*

I've not heard of Polar Express. Might keep my eyes open for that one.

Lightening
http://www.lighteningonline.com