Psalm 46:10 ~ Be still and kow that I am God.

Psalm 46:10 ~ Be still and know that I am God.

"God will not shout above all the noise and busyness to make Himself heard. It's only as we slow the pace and lower the decibel level of our lives that we can do business with God."
~ Quote by D.L. Moody on Psalms 46:10 ~

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

SUPER POWERS

Parker asked me a very interesting nine-year-old question this morning.  He said, "Mom, if you could have super powers what would they be?"  I said, "Parker, no one has ever asked me that before so I need to think about it for a minute.  What would your super powers be?"  He said his powers would be like the weather.  In the winter he could freeze things, in the spring his powers would involve water (you know, Mom, because it rains a lot), in the summer his powers would involve fire and in the fall, wind.  "So, Mom...what would yours be?"  Hmmmm...still thinking.  "Okay, Parker.  If I had super powers it would be snapping my fingers to make something happen.  If I wanted laundry done..."snap"...done.  Dishes done..."snap"...done. House cleaned..."snap"...done.  Kids to listen and behave..."snap, snap"...done!"  He laughed.  I asked him what he thought Daddy's super powers would be and he said, "Power-tooting." (Giggle, giggle.)

Although a "snap" was a much desired "power" this morning in the listening and behaving part of our morning, that question from Parker started my day off really well.  I love the way my kids think.  They are free to go where their little minds take them.  Their imaginations are amazing.  Their insights are sometimes much wiser and clearer than some of the adults I know. They have so much to teach us if we only stop to listen...really listen...to what they are saying. Many times I find myself so preoccupied with MY day that when Parker or Faith are talking to me I'm answering but I haven't heard one single word they are saying.  They could say, "Mom...I'm going to play with matches!", to which I would probably respond by saying, "Okay...sounds good!"  I need to slow down and listen to my kids.  They have so much to teach me...and I have SO much to learn from them.

2 comments:

kim said...

I'd pick telepathy (spelling is not my strong suit). Anyway, I'd like to be able to think about going somewhere and "BLICK" I'm there!!! That would be incredible and a lot less expensive than airfare. It would make a Target run really easy too!!!!

Jeanine said...

Not to mention daily...or at least weekly...visits! Sounds like a good super power to me!