I had something on my heart yesterday (Tuesday, April 22) that I was praying about throughout the day and for quite some time prior to yesterday. Our school district had a vote for a referendum regarding two issues:
1. To secure land next to the elementary school to build another school. This would allow the three current schools and the proposed new school to remain on one campus.
2. To build a new 4-6 grade school as well as make necessary improvements to the current facilities.
Our three current schools are overcrowded. The elementary school is maxed out by about 20 kids. The middle and high school students have been known to eat lunch on the cafeteria floor because there is not enough space. The middle school has choirs with over 100 students, the largest nearing 140, and they are practicing in rooms designed for 80 students. Our school district has always prided itself on "Educational Excellence." What a shame to risk that by not having enough room for our kids.
So, I've been praying. I was praying for both issues to pass with a YES! Item number one on the ballot did pass. The land will be secured. Item number two, however, did not. For a while yet our kids will continue to be in overcrowded schools. The results were announced today and I found myself very disappointed. Disappointed that our kids were let down. But I need to stop being disappointed because although I was originally praying that everyone would vote YES to satisfy all of us who wanted two YES votes, I decided my prayer needed to change to the vote satisfying God, instead. Yesterday I told God that a lot of people wanted to see YES to both questions but that ultimately, I wanted Him to pass whatever vote he thought best. Apparently, there is a reason He wants the new school issue to wait a while longer. He does want us to get the land, so that's what He allowed to pass. What He has in mind for the school...we will just have to wait and see. I bet it's really good, though!
Until then, I will continue to pray for my children and the children of our community that they have the best we have to give them. And the next time a vote comes up asking if we should have a new school and upgrades to our current school facilities...I will vote with a great big YES!!!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment