We had a small accident in our family today. It happened at church, actually. There is a room at church that is used for the youth...junior and senior highers...the Youth Room. It has a sofa, loveseat and countless numbers of large, handmade, brightly colored, fleece pillows. It's not uncommon to find the kids laying on the furniture and using the pillows as floor cushions. That's when the youth are using that room. However, on Sundays after church a group of younger kids...our included...go into what they call the "Pillow Room" and play and be silly. Unfortunately, todays the playing got a little too silly. Apparently Faith was hiding under the pillows and jumped up, lost her balance and fell into a plastic table of some sort. Parker tried to catch her but couldn't get to her quick enough. Faith said he pushed her. Sibling arguing...but that's another story. However, Parker is not one to lie about things...in fact he's usually the first one to tell on himself. Anyway, I heard Scott giving some serious reprimanding to the kids and Faithy screaming. When I walked into the room, Faith's face was covered with blood. Whatever it was she hit, she hit it hard enough to knock out her front tooth...root and all! I snatched up my little girl so fast and took her into the bathroom and told someone to find a church member who was a nurse. Our new Pastor's wife is a nurse and in she walked calm, cool and collected, which is just what Faith and I needed. She looked Faithy over, got her an ice cube for her bleeding mouth, gave her some Tylenol, helped me wipe the blood off of her legs, hands, face...it seemed to be every where on her...and helped settle her down. Parker was sitting outside the bathroom door worried sick about his sister. When he saw her he started crying because he was so upset about her getting hurt. Unfortunately for both Parker and Faith, this was a hard lesson learned. They have both been told REPEATEDLY that rough-housing is not allowed. Scott and I say it over and over and over and over...you get the picture...but it just doesn't "click." However many times we have had to say, "Someone is going to get hurt" just doesn't mean anything when no one is getting hurt. Today they finally understood. Let's hope they keep understanding and we don't have to keep reminding them. For now, though, Faith just told me that she's glad her tooth came out. She's been wanting to be like her big brother who has had several teeth fall out already. Too bad for her it's going to be a while before a new one comes in. At four she's a little young for there to be one waiting in the wings. Photos of Faith will be "toothless" for a while.
Peace.
Jeanine
3 comments:
I am glad Faith is OK, and looking on the bright side. =) The Tooth Fairy rocks! The other day I asked one of Jill's daughters if the tooth fairy leaves money under her pillow. She said in her most serious voice, "Actually it's my Mom and she does not give us money for the silver teeth, because she says she already paid for those." I sure got a good laugh out of that one!
Hey...don't laugh at me! It is true, those teeth cost a lot of money! I figure that somehow they relate that to taking better care of their teeth...OK, maybe not.
Carol and Jill - you two are funny! Hope I can meet you both some day! Neither one of the kids have had to had any dental work, such as fillings, done yet. Parker's big dentist experience, other than twice a year cleanings, was having two teeth pulled to make room for the new ones coming in. At five bucks a tooth, I seriously hope the loss of teeth paces itself around here or the "tooth fairy" is going to be broke!
Post a Comment