Okay...so today I listened to my own advice. My last blog entry had me fussing over things until I drive myself...and most likely my family...absolutely crazy! Busyness. Today was one of those rare days on the calendar that did not have anything scheduled. I made homemade waffles for breakfast, Parker had the neighbor boys over to play and Faith went to their house to play with their little sister. I puttered around the house...cleaning up the kitchen, vacuuming up dog hair, sorting/doing laundry...normal everyday things...but nothing unnecessary! Since it was hot and humid today...90 degrees with probably about 90% humidity...that's Minnesota in the summer...we spent most of the day indoors, especially this afternoon. Parker is not one who enjoys heat...he just can't take it...so he pulled out his marble roller-coaster kit to see what he could construct. He did well...the marble-coaster pretty much stretched across the family room downstairs with dips and turns and swirls. Faith says she "helped" but was really the one who dropped the marble to see how far it went. I found myself so at peace today. Not stressing over anything, just doing my household tasks and enjoying my children, our home, even the dogs. I know people who need to be scheduled. No lag time throughout their days for themselves or their families. There is so much to be said for just "being." I think in today's world the emphasis is placed on how much we can do in a short amount of time. How many activities our kids can be in. How we can cram as much as possible into the day, the week, the weekend. We're not like that. Our kids get stressed out when they are over-scheduled. So do Scott and I. We all enjoy spending time at home, together, doing nothing or doing activities that we enjoy...movies, games, video games, playing...whatever suits us at the moment. So today, I did what needed to be done and nothing more. It still kept me busy, but busy doing what I need and want to do for my family.
Peace.
Jeanine
3 comments:
I am so envious! That sounds like the perfect day to me. I have been thinking a lot lately on these lines. Maybe there is a post coming? ;o)
Thanks for the encouragement today.
PS I just realized that you are not yet on my blog roll. I would like to add you so I can see when you post and keep up. ;o)
I totally agree. We've lost the art of just being. Instead, we're all about doing. I think we all need to find balance here and teach our kids that. If my kids are bored or aren't around each other (sometimes that's rare with four girls)and I encourage them to just "be" in their room, they look at me like I'm crazy! It is ok to take time to just be, to relax, contemplate... how else will we or our kids really be able to listen to God when he speaks if we are never quiet or still. Good job! I hope you have more days like this!!!
P.S. Thanks for the prayers. I really appreciate it.
I want to see that marble maze, it sounds so cool! I am glad you had a great day... ;)
Post a Comment