Parker is "on the ball." Literally. We received a classroom newsletter yesterday from Parker's teacher. Seems fourth graders have been bringing exercise balls into class to use in place of their regular chairs! Apparently it helps to improve posture and burns off excess energy. Yes...I knew that...but would have never expected to hear that Parker could bring his exercise ball to school (yes...he has one...his body is growing so fast that our chiropractor suggested it to to help him stretch.) So this morning Parker left for school with his huge, purple exercise ball. Scott helped him carry it to the classroom and from what Scott said when he returned home there were several little girls eagerly helping to get Parker set up. One moved Parker's chair out of the way, another moved his desk so he could get the ball in place. Scott said they waited on Parker hand and foot...Parker didn't have to do a thing! Hmmmm...do I see another post in the making about nine/ten-year old crushes? Don't tell Parker, though...it will make him really mad. "Girls are just girls who are FRIENDS, Mom!" Good boy, Parker...no "girlfriends" for several more years. Right now Mom's your favorite, remember?
Things have certainly changed since I was in elementary school. My fourth grade teacher snapped a wooden ruler in half by smacking a disruptive boy on the head! We got a desk and a chair and if it didn't fit right, live with it! I was not a fan of school...third grade was the worst. Mrs. Johnson was NOT a nice lady. Now I'm a Mrs. Johnson...but I'm nice! Anyway, Parker loves school. LOVES it! Who wouldn't? Exercise balls for chairs? And that's just one fun thing. Parker can do his math homework by playing a math-related board game or doing math games on the computer (right up his alley). Last week he discovered a "Calvin and Hobbes" comic strip book and he's been reading and reading and reading...and laughing and laughing and laughing. I checked a few more books of the same out for him yesterday from our local library. He's even been reading before school, on the bus on the way home from school and again at night! He bounces out the door in the morning laughing and excited about what the day has in store for him! And now he'll be able to bounce his bum on his exercise ball while he's sitting at his desk! WAY cool!
Peace.
Jeanine
4 comments:
What a great idea! I am going to try that at my desk at home because my bum really hurts from sitting on this hard old kitchen chair! =)
What a fantastic idea! Way to go Delano School District! Alex would love (as would his teacher) to wiggle his way through his day on a ball seat. I think that's great.
And in case a random dodgeball game breaks out...the kids sitting on the balls will have the biggest ones and will destroy the unprepared competition.
OW. I meant that the kids sitting on the ball chairs will have the biggest balls...
I mean, well, this is getting worse. I give up. Nevermind.
Brilliant! I'm going to pass this idea along to our Kindergarten teacher! I can't think of a better way to work the energy off a group of 5 year olds! Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment