Psalm 46:10 ~ Be still and kow that I am God.

Psalm 46:10 ~ Be still and know that I am God.

"God will not shout above all the noise and busyness to make Himself heard. It's only as we slow the pace and lower the decibel level of our lives that we can do business with God."
~ Quote by D.L. Moody on Psalms 46:10 ~

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

EASTER DECOR

I'm curious. When do you decorate for Easter? I used to do it a couple weeks prior to Easter Sunday. Thought I was really getting in the swing of things for the spring / Easter season. A couple of years ago I was helping our pastor at the time with Easter preparations at church. It was several weeks before Easter Sunday and we were going over his plans for Holy Week and the big Sunday service. He was a very visual, creative, out-of-the-box thinker and there seemed to be no limits as to what could be done to decorate church for this wonderful celebration of Jesus resurrection.

Anyway, it was during one of our brainstorm sessions that Pastor Jim said that in their home they did not decorate for Easter UNTIL Easter. Having all the festive spring and Easter decor in their home did not seem fitting prior to Easter Sunday because there was really nothing yet at that time to "celebrate." It's after Jesus comes back, is raised from the dead, that the beauty of spring...new life...can be praised and celebrated.

Hmmmm....that certainly gave me something to think about. We don't have spring / Easter stuff up in our house yet. Maybe because it's still so DARN COLD here...but even still...it's not Easter yet. However, this is a house with children. It is a house with excitement building for Easter Sunday. Our kids, although we talk about Jesus celebrating the last supper with his friends, how Jesus died on the cross for our sins on Good Friday and how we are still mourning Jesus death on Saturday...our kids are thinking about Easter Sunday!

So, even though I would wait until Saturday night to do our spring / Easter decorating (if it were just Scott and I in our house), I told Faith that we would do it today. She's excited. She's been talking about Easter for like a month already...pretty much ever since Ash Wednesday.

So again...when do you decorate for Easter?

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Hmmm...I like that thought. I'd never thought of it that way before. As for decorating at my house, there hasn't been any this year. I'm not hosting Easter dinner so I don't know that I'll get any decorations out. I intended to, but my good intentions aren't getting me very far lately.