The kids gave me Wii Fit for Christmas. It was one of the two items on my list. We all played around with this fun little game over Christmas break. We set up our little Mii characters. It weighed us, measured our height, calculated our BMI, determined our center of balance (which none of us have...we're all very "unbalanced")...all just by standing on the Wii Fit balance board. Parker's and Faith's Mii characters turned out to be child-sized little characters, but very long and lean. They are in the "healthy weight" category. Scott and my Mii characters turned out to be short and wide. We are in the "overweight" and "obese" categories. Not good.
Scott and I decided that our goal this year is to get healthier. Last year...without really telling anyone my plan...I started on getting my heart healthier, and I don't mean physically healthier. I wanted personal changes in my life and although I thought my "resolution" would soon be ignored by life getting in the way, it didn't. By the end of 2009, I was different. Not as different as I wanted to be...remember...I'm a work in progress. I am what my dear friend calls, "a beautiful mess." You have to understand this when reading that last sentence: using "beautiful" in a sentence about myself is not something that came easy for me. It has taken me 43 years and 344 days to be able to do it.
So although 2009's resolution is still going...and will continue to go for hopefully at least another 43-plus years...2010's goals of getting more physically healthy are the ones that need to start being put into place, or you can just nix that whole 43-plus more years goal!
Yesterday I was scheduled to hit the "gym" (meaning the family room downstairs) at 12:30 PM. I arrived late...on my first day, even...at 1:30 PM. My Wii Fit and I finally got some time to ourselves. As I stepped on the scale I was told that I had dropped 1.1 pounds since my last check-in. HUH? I certainly was not going to argue with my Wii scale and the little person that says, "Oooooohhhhh" when I step on the scale.
It was time to choose my "workout" for the day. I decided to stick with my little Mii character options...the more game-type workouts...at least for a while until my body figures out what it is that I'm trying to do...which is not to be mean to myself but rather to help myself. My other workout option was to use the more human-type character...my "trainer"...who will most likely challenge me in ways that I am not quite ready for yet. No sense getting my butt kicked right off the bat and ruining my desires to make a change, right.
I decided on 30 minutes to get myself started, which my Wii Fit told me I had reached without me even having to ask. What a thoughtful program. Anyway, I watched as my short and wide little Mii character on the screen before me mirrored the activities that I had chosen to do. I hoola-hooped, did a stepping exercise, jogged (yes...jogged...and for those of you who know WHY I cannot jog, there were no "complications"), down hill skied and did another stepping exercise that had me up to 900+ steps. All in 30 minutes and only breaking into a small sweat. This morning, however, I have felt the results of the "stepping." My legs are definitely telling me that I worked them yesterday...and you know...it feels GOOD! WHO KNEW those little animated character activities could actually make you feel like you did something? I am scheduled to hit the "gym" again today at 11:30 AM. I hope I'm not late for a second day in a row.
I hesitated sharing this "resolution" today because sometimes I'm better keeping things to myself, just in case it doesn't come to be. But that's a negative approach...a saboteur in the works telling me, "You're not going to do it, Jeanine. You're going to fail. If you tell people then they know you failed." However, by sharing this goal with you...to get physically healthier...I now have accountability...a more positive approach with no saboteur telling me it cannot be done.
Hopefully by this time next year my little Mii character will be more like Parker's Mii and Faith's Mii...long and lean...instead of short and wide.
Wish me luck!
Peace.
Jeanine
4 comments:
Good luck! Sounds like you have some great goals... I think I need to get on board!
My folks have a Wii fit and they love it.. I have to admit I think its pretty neat, but am afraid if we get a Wii I will just play games!!
;)
Blessings-
Amanda
I love, love, love our Wii fit board. Love it!!! I must say that the hulla hooping always kills me the next morning. My stomach hurt so bad after the first time me and Alex competed (course he felt nothing the next day, as I massaged and complained about my ab muscles). Love it!
Good luck and good goal! You can do it! I know it!
way to claim what you want and being gentle and loving with yourself along the way! you CAN do it!! you are already becoming the healthy woman you are!
Way to go! Keep up the hard work on both the in and out!
Post a Comment