Psalm 46:10 ~ Be still and kow that I am God.

Psalm 46:10 ~ Be still and know that I am God.

"God will not shout above all the noise and busyness to make Himself heard. It's only as we slow the pace and lower the decibel level of our lives that we can do business with God."
~ Quote by D.L. Moody on Psalms 46:10 ~

Friday, May 30, 2008

DO A LITTLE DANCE

Do a little dance....(don't worry, I'm changing the words)
Spin yourself around...
School's out today...
School's out today!

Do a little dance...
Spin yourself around...
School's out today...
School's out today!

TODAY IS THE LAST DAY OF SCHOOL! Yes...this is Jeanine typing...the mom...not Parker...the kid! Mom's can get excited about the last day of school, too, you know! However, after reading some of your blogs, I feel like I don't have enough stuff planned for my kids during the next few months. I know the kids are going to pester the living daylights out of each other, but they do that anyway, so it really won't be different than any other day. I thought a five-year span between them would make for more patience on Parker's part...but that's a whole different story. I'm going back to my "blue sky with fluffy white clouds" world and envision what I want summer to be. Children helping with chores around the house, nice play...not naughty play...no fighting, reading just for the FUN of it and less TV and video games, snuggling up in the hammock on a warm afternoon, picnics in the park, gathering around the ol' swimmin' hole...okay, now I'm even starting to make myself sick from all the gushyness! Back to reality! There will be bickering, there will be strong encouraging to turn off the TV and video games and read a book instead. I will need to encourage Parker to get out and ride bikes, scooters and run around. Parker is a "relaxer" and Faithy is the "Energizer Bunny x 100!" My days will certainly not be boring trying to encourage one and calm the other. Since God rushed me through the patience line while making me, He will be called on quite frequently to guide me and direct me. One thing I want to try doing is to use a book I purchased at the "Hearts at Home" conference I attended two years ago. Yes...the book has been sitting here unused for two years. Okay...two and a half years. Whatever, dude...I'm busy! Just kidding! Just throwing some attitude in there for fun! Anyway, it's called "Focus on the Family - Old Testament Bible Stories - Family Nights Tool Chest." It's designed to help families set up a weekly time to spend together to learn about God's teachings. Here's an example from the book:

There is toothpaste all over the plastic-covered table. Four young kids are having the time of their lives squeezing the paste out of the tube - trying to expunge every drop like Dad told them to. "Okay," says Dad, slapping a twenty-dollar bill onto the table. "The first person to get the toothpaste back into their tube gets this money!" Little hands begin working to shove the peppermint pile back into rolled-up tubes - with very limited success.

Dad is in the midst of a weekly routine within their home when he and his wife spend time creating "impression points" with the kids. "We can't do it, Dad!" protests the youngest child.

"The Bible tells us that's just like your tongue. Once the words come out, it's impossible to get them back in. You need to be careful what you say because you may wish you could take it back." An unforgettable impression is made.

I haven't quite figured out when this little experiment will take place, but I'm hoping for the same time, same day, same bat channel every week!

That, combined with our weekly "Adventure Days" and library on Tuesdays gives me at least something to start with. Time for the kids and I to learn together. To have fun together. To enjoy each other and continue learning more about each other. This is the only summer Parker will be nine years old, Faithy four-years old and me...well...let's just not even go there! Wish me luck. Pray for little successes...or big ones if you are so inclined. I'll do the same for you!

Peace.
Jeanine

1 comment:

Jill said...

Jeanine, so glad to meet you. I am glad you stopped by.

It makes me so happy to hear a mom so excited to have her kids home with her for the summer months! So often I hear 'Oh no, it is almost summer.'

We are going to take the same approach this summer. Although I have lots of projects around the house, I want my kids reading whatever (to a point) they want just for fun. Lots of swimming, days at the park, camps and such. Way to go Mom! It sounds like a great summer ahead!