The last few days in Minnesota have been in the mid- to upper-80s. It's been sprinkler weather, to say the least. Especially when our humidity kicks in. So, we've created this little "contraption" in the back yard to keep everyone cool and busy with the main goal being exhausted children by the end of the day who fall asleep before their heads hit the pillow. The latter part of that hasn't worked well. My kids fight sleep...but that's a different story. Anyway, back to the "contraption." We have a play system in our back yard with a pretty good sized slide. Above the top of the slide is a support beam where we attached a sprinkler. Not a whip-around, metal-type sprinkler but one of the flat ones that you can select from several different "spray options." At the bottom of the slide is a heavy-duty piece of plastic and at the end of that is the Slip and Slide. We hook up hoses to the sprinkler above the slide and the Slip and Slide and watch the kids slide down a good 30 feet of plastic. It's our own little water park. The neighbors have a little pool and the littlest ones played in that, Faithy included. She would prefer the hoses be hooked up to the kitchen sink so we could use warmer water. I'm with her, but unfortunately the water heater would run out pretty fast and we'd be back to cold again.
Yesterday started out with water balloons that we neighbor moms attempted to fill up...all 200 of them. We filled for at least an hour only to have the kids go through them all in about five minutes! Next we hooked up the water slide contraption and played in the neighbors little pool. There was a total of nine kids...ages two to nine...and six adults supervising. Unfortunately, my kids...you know, the ones who will not give in to exhaustion...had complete melt-downs, to the point of tears, mini tantrums and just plain crankiness. Parker finally listened to his body and went inside to his room to just relax. He fell asleep for two hours and woke up like a different kid. Faith however...well...she decided she and I needed to go for a walk after dinner, insisted on playing outside even though I told her we were done for the evening, and crawled into bed with Scott and I around 2 AM. Now today, I'm ready for a melt-down...one with tears, mini tantrums and just plain crankiness. Can moms do that? No...not today...I need to get Faith to soccer.
Hope you have a fun-filled day in store for you!
Peace.
Jeanine
1 comment:
Wow! What a day. The meltdowns remind me of the days when the kids were babies, and I was tempted at times to get the little syringe and squirt a bit of Benadryl down...for good sleep! I did resist unless they were actually sick! :)
Let's hope today is more calm!
Post a Comment