If you've been keeping up with the Johnson Family Blog you will know that about a month ago we brought home two Society Finches from the silent auction at our church. The person who donated the birds...she raises them...didn't know what genders she grabbed out of the cage. Two males, two females, one of each...she couldn't tell me. Well, today we found out. Apparently we have one of each, considering the fact that we found an egg in the nest this afternoon. In a few weeks we will have a little baby finch added to our crazy household. Parker and Faith are SO excited! Parker has already instructed me not to get rid of the egg...which I had absolutely no intention of doing! When I showed Parker the egg, he got excited! When I showed Faith the egg, she got excited! When I saw the egg, I was excited! When I told Scott about the egg, he said (in a less than enthusiastic tone), "That's...just...great." Then he laughed. Not quite sure what to do with this soon to arrive little bundle of feathers, but from what I was told, these types of birds just pretty much take care of themselves and their own.
What's really crazy is that without knowing it, Parker picked his bird and named it "Starly." Starly has a fluff of white feathers on the top of the head and white feathers in the tail. We have been calling Starly "he" since we brought him home. Now we are pretty confident this bird is the male since it has been staying out of the nest more. Faith picked her bird and named it "Sparkle." Sparkle is pretty much mostly brown with a little white and a pink-ish spot on the beak. We have been calling Sparkle "she" since we brought her home. We're pretty sure this is the female since she has started staying in the nest the majority of the day.
About a week ago we started to wonder if Starly and Sparkle were "twitterpaiting." "Twitterpaiting" is the word my brother uses to describe, well...you know...reproducing activities. Guess that's what happens when I cover the cage at night with a sheet (hee hee). Wish us luck and let's hope the twitterpaiting stays to a minimum.
4 comments:
Is the only twitterpaiting going on under a sheet at night at your house contained in a cage???? hee hee :)
Kim, you naughty, naughty girl! And...no.
J
funny story miss jeanine! maybe i'll talk to Cali boy and see if we can "adopt"...if you're considering adopting?
Such excitement! Maybe you can go into the bird-raising business!
Post a Comment