I have no idea how the whole health care thing is going to play out in the United States. All I know is that something needs to change. The doctors need to be able to tell the insurance companies what is necessary, where patients need to be treated and by whom, what type of treatments the patient need...basically, they know what is BEST FOR THE PATIENT! I spoke with someone at the insurance company today who was basing our coverage on what the insurance company deems "acceptable." Doesn't matter that it changes the care my children have been getting from awesome to down right sucky. It doesn't matter what relationship we have with our current doctors and that they know my children...both medically AND personally. Doesn't matter that when we go to the clinics/hospitals that my children see familiar faces and people recognize them because they have cared for them before. What does seem to matter is that there is care available elsewhere that the insurance company says will suffice because it's in network.
It will not "suffice" for this mamma! Those of you who know me well know that I will accept nothing than the best care for my children. Since they cannot advocate for themselves, I will do it for them...and by-golly I will exhaust every effort to make sure they get exactly what is best for them. Don't believe me? You should have heard my phone call earlier today.
Something needs to change. Is this new health care reform the answer? I don't know. What I do know is this: as patients, or those representing patients, get informed. Stick up for yourselves or your loved ones. Don't settle for anything but the best and fight hard to get it.
Peace.
Jeanine
No comments:
Post a Comment